Friday, January 28, 2011

The Green Hornet review

So guess what, you guys? Well, 2 days ago, which was a Wednesday, was the day I finally watched *cue drumroll* THE GREEN HORNET. yay, right?

So before any of you who haven't watched the movie continue reading, I should point out that this post contains a lot of spoilers but if you don't really care or have already watched it, read on!

Let's start this post off with some stills from the movie:






Tee-hee. Ehem. Anyway, so the plot was there's this rich, spoiled brat named Britt Reid (Seth Rogen) who suddenly inherits his dad's newspaper fortune after the former's sudden death due to a bee sting (supposedly). However, Britt's dad wasn't exactly the loving, i-have-all-the-time-in-the-world-for-you type of dad and this results in Britt rebelling and eventually becoming a 30-year old party boy who is not only unprepared for but doesn't really want anything to do with dad's newspaper business. After firing all the employees that worked for his dad, he wakes up the next morning and finds his coffee tastes like crap. He hunts down this mysterious coffee maker and finds out his name is Kato (Jay Chou) and he reveals he was actually Britt's dad's auto mechanic and a real bad-ass one at that. He is also an inventor and is incredibly resourceful. The two of them become BFF's (sort of) and decide to do something with their lives and become crime-fighters by making the bad guys think that they're bad guys as well. They do this with the help of Lenore Case (Cameron Diaz) who is Britt's secretary and is extremely well-versed when it comes to crime and all that. Eventually, they get in over their heads and attract the attention of Chudnofsky (Christoph Waltz), an old-school crime boss who wants them gone so he can get all the glory again. So now, Britt and Kato not only have to save themselves but they also have to defeat Chudnofsky as well. (Gosh, I don't even know if I am spelling his name right. Haha) Anyway, for the whole plot summary, visit http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0990407/synopsis.

Anyway, so that was the plot. Now for my review of it. This is going to be hard, but I'm going to try my best to not be too biased and too fan-girly and fill this post with too much "oh gawd! they were so awesome! i loved them both! eeeek!"

So Green Hornet started out nice and funny. I actually enjoyed it. However, Seth's character was really really annoying in this film and I felt sorry for Kato since he put up with all of Britt's crap. I like Seth but there were a ton of times I wanted to kick him (I mean, his character). I think he overdid it a bit since he made his character appear a bit too unrealistic (but I guess this was for the laughs). But seriously, his character was like a whiny, know-it-all twelve year old who was perpetually high. (sorry, Seth) I did warm up to him towards the end of the film, though. And oh gosh, I loved him and that darn sushi flash drive. HAHAHA. *ehem* There were a couple of continuity mistakes in the film but I don't really mind. What bothered me was the amount of damage Britt and Kato were doing to the whole city and the amount of civilians they (probably) killed. And they're supposed to be the good guys. However, the action scenes were pretty good and exciting. Jay Chou was awesome and he really kicked butt in this film. *swoons* As for the other characters, Cameron Diaz and Chudwhathisname, I think they did a pretty good job and did the film some justice. I also really liked the cameo by James Franco in the opening scene. I enjoyed that one.

So overall, the film was pretty good and I actually enjoyed it. Though, surprisingly, not as much as I hoped I would. Maybe I set my standards too high. It wasn't really too serious but in a good way. Oh well, it was fun at least to watch Seth and Jay be BFF's and exchange a few gay innuendos. Haha. They should work together again. Although I am not really hoping for a Green Hornet sequel. Yes, I know. Big surprise since I am supposed to be a fan and all. However, I don't really think a sequel would be a good idea (maybe it's just me) but I rate this film a 3.5 out of 5 and from my experience, sequels almost always seem to be worse than originals. But maybe I do want a sequel. Erk. I don't know. I'm on the fence with this one. Oh well.

So, there you have it. Right now, I am waiting for the next film when more of my celebrity crushes join forces. Haha. (Man, this was a long post)

See you later, 
be the first to show me some love! :)

Post a Comment

do you have anything to say about the sugar-fueled shizz i have hastily posted above? don't hesitate! comment now!

(i just realized how infomercial-y that sounded. but hey, don't let that stop you from commenting!)